New Home Design Tips
There are many things to consider when designing a home from scratch- read on for some of our top tips!
There are many building companies in Perth, all with different house plans and business models, which can make it difficult to know who to build with. We have put together a handy list of just some important checks to do before building a new home.
1) If you have a block of land already, your decision of what to build is just as important than if you purchase a house and land package through a builder. With a house/land package, most builders have a limited selection of designs for you to choose from, although they normally take care of all the finer details for you as the inclusions are standard.
2) Think about what you need and want in a home and take the opportunity to design your home from scratch with those things in mind. All too often people choose standard designs off a plan to save money, but end up with a home that doesn’t quite suit their needs. Also, making changes to standard designs can often come with additional charges and costs; you may be better off customdesigning your home to suit what you want in the first instance.
3) Consider materials! Living in Australia comes with wonderful opportunities but it also with many challenges. Building companies that are willing to try new and innovative building materials may be better for you than a big builder that churns out hundreds of the same, cookie-cutter homes every year. The rising cost of energy is just one reason to think outside the square with materials that are environmentally sustainable and reduce energy costs. It may be hard to believe, but many homes being built today simply aren’t suited to the Australian climate- you are much better off working with a builder who is more likely to try something new.
4) The climate, orientation, landscape and outlook of your block are all unique factors that should be taken into consideration in the design stage. It is important that you know what your options are, and that you work with a builder or draftsman that will give you options. You may suffer in the long run from overexposure to the elements, or miss out on a wonderful view due to being restricted by an inflexible builder or a standard design that doesn’t make the most of your land.
5) Have fun! Building and designing a home from scratch does NOT have to be a stressful experience if you choose the right builder. You should be able to request a free site visit so that your design complements your block from the very beginning. Mindful Homes is committed to making sure every client feels special and that their individual needs are being considered every step of the way. We can help you design, build, and furnish your home for less than you’d think! Give a boutique builder a chance today and contact us for a free onsite consultation and quote- obligation free!